Saturday, November 8, 2008

Luke 5-7

Notice the fishermen's response to the call of Jesus in Luke 5:11 - "they forsook all and followed Him. Is anything less expected of us?

One of my favorite stories in the Gospels is found in Luke 5:17-32. Jesus heals a paralytic man from the inside-out. He first forgives his sin and then Jesus heals his legs. The dispute brought up by the Pharisees is this, "Who can forgive sins but God?" Jesus' response is amazing. He responds in two ways: with a statement and then with an illustration. The statement: "Which is easier (or better), to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you' or to say, 'Rise up and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins - I say to you, arise, take up your bed and go to your house." The illustration: Immediately after this, Jesus goes and chooses Matthew, the tax collector to be one of His disciples. Jesus is now illustrating His power to forgive sins. Tax collectors were often considered the most sinful people of their day. Jesus is saying, "So that you may know I have the power to forgive sins, I'm going to forgive the biggest sinner in town - Matthew, you are forgiven! Follow Me!"
For a more complete explanation of this story, get the teaching - "Matthew, the Tax Collector - A Picture of Forgiveness" in the Church Resource Center.
  • Meditate on the teachings in Luke 6 - The Beatitudes, The Woes, Love Your Enemies, Do Not Judge, A Tree is Known By It's Fruit, Build on the Rock. These teachings capture the essence of a disciple of Jesus Christ. These are character traits He desires to develop in all of us. Can you see some growth in your life in these area?
  • Notice how many of Jesus' miracles are to the 'outsiders'. The outsiders or the poor had been neglected by the religious insiders, but Jesus takes the Gospel to them, heals them, forgives them and eats with them. Most of these people had been neglected by the merciless religious system of legalism and the poor were often considered cursed, judged or unclean - not to be touched or associated with. Jesus is declaring to everyone, "God loves the poor!" Questions: Are we satisfied to stay with the religious "insiders" or do we go and proclaim the Gospel to the "outsiders"? Are we more like the legalistic Pharisees or more like Jesus in this kind of compassionate ministry? How can we be more like Jesus?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How to be more like Jesus...According to Paul's account, Jesus was equal to God but humbled himself and became nothing but servant to all, obedient even unto death. I don't consider us equal to God by any means. But Jesus was equal, and if He could humble himself and become nothing, we should certainly be able to humble ourselves!
Paul said, I do the things I don't want to do, and the things I want to do I don't do! Evil is always right there with him, and so with us. I WANT to be more like Jesus, and in some ways, I am growing. But I haven't succeeded in all ways. It seems so overwhelming at times, and I wonder where do I begin? So many to witness to, so many in need, what is the right thing to do? Does anybody else ever feel this way too?
I have decided to pray, "Lord, show me those that you want me to speak to about you today, and put the words in my mouth to speak to them. Show me those you want me to help today, and tell me what you want me to do for them. Help me be obedient you your will and your ways Lord."
I realize also that I must put myself among people in order to carry out His will. I think about Jesus, going to Capernaum, where everyone passed through. Maybe we should put ourselves in the midst of large crowds of people, and God will show us who to help, who to minister to. I think about "The Way of the Master" Ministry; they send out groups of people that actually do street preaching. Even if we can't do that, we can take tracts with us wherever we go, and ask God to show us who he wants to have them. This is a small step that will serve as a beginning, but it can lead to bigger ones. Jesus wants believers that are obedient. To be more like Him, we must look up to Him and ask what he would have us to do with a truly willing heart, then do what he asks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks sweetteaqueen. We've all got a long ways to go in becoming like Jesus. Getting "bumped off of self-centered" is key. There are people in need all around us everyday - "the harvest is plentious." Opening up our eyes and looking around is the first step. We so insulate and isolate ourselves from the ones in need or we pre-judge them and size them up and determine not to get involved. Not much different than the Samaritan in Luke 10 who wanted to "justify himself" when Jesus said, "love you neighbor..." Glad you are growing. Don't get too overwhelmed. Contrary to popular opinion, God did not call us to change the world. He called us to love and minister to those in need who are right in our path everyday - good works. It's not our job to change the world. The Holy Spirit will do that. We love and minister in the most simple and basic of ways or even in supernatural, life changing ways. The people will see our good works and glorify our Father which is in heaven. Let's continue to be faithful, daily.